SQL Problem w/insert into other server->table with calculated column

• Hi,

I added a calculated column to server1-table1. Then I ran a stored procedure to deploy this server1-table1 to server2-table2 using insert into server2-table2 select col1, col2, col3 from server1-table1. It errored out saying "Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition."

Both tables have the same layout.

I added Null to the select to 'replace' the calculated column, it errored out because I have no permission to write to the calculated column.

When I tested it from one table to another within the same server it didn't give me a problem, I didn't have to list the calculated column in the select, but I can't do this between servers. Is it because of permissions or you can't do an insert into to another server table if you have calculated columns?

Thanks,

K.

• It would help to see the DDL for the tables.

• do you have an identity on the tables ? if so you can't assume the sql will ignore this column

try the following

rather than

insert into tablex select a,b,c from tabley

use

insert into tablex (columna,columnb,columnc) select a,b,c

MVDBA

• Hi,

I couldn't find a reason why it didn't work so I removed the formula, but kept the column. I added this formula to the Select so now works fine.

Thanks for your suggestions.

K.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply