SQL performance counter shows 0 as values

• Environment: sql server 2005 enterprise edition on windows server 2003.

Perfmon counters fro sql was working before and recently stopped working. The only change I am aware of is our sys admin installed more memory on the server.

I can add the counters but the values are ZERO. All other counters for the server are working properly.

Is there a registry setting or database property value that controls this?

thanks!

• What counters are zero? All of them?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yeah, basically everything supplied by sql server. Other OS counters are fine such as Memory:Available MBytes, Processor:%Processor time.

For SQL, 0 is what I get fro the values:

Buffer cache hit ratio 0.000

Page life expctancy 0

• Do you see any performance issue on the Box with counters at 0.

did the admin did a HOT INSTALL for the memory(ONLINE), or did he Shutdown the box and install the memory.

• Hi,

Try to use the following queries

select * from sysperfinfo --SQL Server 2000-2005

or

select * from sys.dm_os_performance_counters -- SQL Server 2005

Check the following link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187743.aspx

If the installation instance of your SQL Server fails to display the performance counters of the Windows Operating System, use the following Transact-SQL query to confirm that performance counters have been disabled.

Copy Code

SELECT COUNT (*) FROM sys.dm_os_performance_countersIf the return value is 0 rows, the performance counters have been disabled. You should then look at the setup log and search for error 3409, "Reinstall sqlctr.ini for this instance, and ensure that the instance login account has correct registry permissions" This denotes that performance counters were not enabled. The errors immediately prior to the 3409 listing should indicate the root cause for the failure of performance counter enabling. For more information about setup log files, see How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files

Regards

• Mani Singh (6/25/2008)

Do you see any performance issue on the Box with counters at 0.

did the admin did a HOT INSTALL for the memory(ONLINE), or did he Shutdown the box and install the memory.

We restarted the computer for installing the memory.

• Ahmed Bouzamondo (6/25/2008)

Hi,

Try to use the following queries

select * from sysperfinfo --SQL Server 2000-2005

or

select * from sys.dm_os_performance_counters -- SQL Server 2005

Check the following link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187743.aspx

If the installation instance of your SQL Server fails to display the performance counters of the Windows Operating System, use the following Transact-SQL query to confirm that performance counters have been disabled.

Copy Code

SELECT COUNT (*) FROM sys.dm_os_performance_countersIf the return value is 0 rows, the performance counters have been disabled. You should then look at the setup log and search for error 3409, "Reinstall sqlctr.ini for this instance, and ensure that the instance login account has correct registry permissions" This denotes that performance counters were not enabled. The errors immediately prior to the 3409 listing should indicate the root cause for the failure of performance counter enabling. For more information about setup log files, see How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files

Regards

Thanks for your reply.

My situation is sort of the opposite. I can't get values when using perfmon. SQL apparently has the values but it is just not sending it to WMI.

As a matter of fact, I have been using sys.dm_os_performance_counters to look at the counter values. I get the information I want, but it would be much nice if I can get it from perfmon.

• Hi,

Check the following link

How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956/en-us

Regards

• see if this helps

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300956

• Does anyone know if any of the methods listed on this thread actually worked?  We're suffering from precisely the same problem as what the OP originally posted.  We can see and select the various SQLServer: counters but all of the values being returned are zero.  They used to work just fine and just flat out stopped after a recent reboot.

The values for other categories of performance counters, such as Processor and System (File Read and File Write) are working as they did before.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply