SQL Patching

• Can both Security Update and Cumulative Update reside at the same time on an instance?

Like for SQL Server 2016, can Security Update (13.0.5622.0) and Cumulative Update (13.0.5698.0) reside at the same time for an instance

• I think if the CU is a higher number than the security update, then it'll include the security update.

John

• Yep. What John says. The cumulative update is just that, an accumulation of updates, security or not, up to that point. Can you add a newer security update created after a CU? Yeah.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It's just surprising for me, I tried to install Security Update(13.0.5622.0) on an instance which have already CU12 (13.0.5698.0) and I could see it got installed when I checked in View Installed Updates in Control Panel.

Is it Possible?

• Yeah, I'm not at all surprised that it installed. I just doubt it did anything during that install. It found higher versions or the same versions on all the stuff and just brushed on by them without error.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply