SQL Newbie - want to learn SSIS!

• Hi,

I am trying to change my career focus from batch scheduling into the BI,Data analytics area. I know that SQL is a powerful BI tool. I would like to learn SSIS, but I have NO, zero experience with SQL. Can someone direct me as to where to start. I like pragmatic works SSIS training online, but expect you to know how to run a query inside of SQL Server 2005 or 2008. I do not. Where should I start??

Any assistance will be much appreciated. Thanks.

• john_nyasani (12/2/2011)

I am trying to change my career focus from batch scheduling into the BI,Data analytics area. I know that SQL is a powerful BI tool. I would like to learn SSIS, but I have NO, zero experience with SQL. Can someone direct me as to where to start. I like pragmatic works SSIS training online, but expect you to know how to run a query inside of SQL Server 2005 or 2008. I do not. Where should I start??

I find the webinars on Brian Knight's pragmaticworks.com to be very good. But it sounds like you're looking for a more basic start. You could look at the Stairway series here on SSC. Look at the intro to SQL DML (data manipulation language) http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/75773/

HTH,

Rob

• john_nyasani (12/2/2011)

I agree with Rob - post suggest you have to start from scratch.

I would suggest to build your own lab e.g. download and install SQL Server in a home computer then buy a book of the likes of SQL Server in 21 days or (please take no offense) SQL Server for dummies.

Books On Line a.k.a. BOL that comes with SQL Server will be your initial source of in deep information.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Yes, and also a T-SQL book so you can learn the correct way first.

• I would suggest, for a quick start, try Lynda.com and their training series. It will get you through some of the basics and help you to setup a server on your home network as suggested in another post.

• Thanks for all you positive feedback. I am going to start with the T-SQL page on this site to learn the basics, and then go from there.

• hi every one i am frank castle

resume writing[/url] | examples of resumes[/url]

• You should also watch the SSIS forums here and try to create the solutions for the questions posed. You will need to get some practice with it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply