SQL mini dump on SQL 2000 with SP3

• Hello team,

I have one SQL server with 2000 SP3. on that, there is recently minidump has generated.

I have checked that server is up and running from last 3 months.

Windows box has 4 GB RAM, however SQL is using 1.86 GB RAM. Below is the extract of the dump.txt

Memory

MemoryLoad = 74%

Total Physical = 3839 MB

Available Physical = 985 MB

Total Page File = 7408 MB

Available Page File = 1734 MB

Total Virtual = 2047 MB

Available Virtual = 71 MB

It shows that there is memory load on the server. I am attaching sqldump.txt and .mdmp file.

Kindly let me know if anybody finds anything.

I have tried to google to find out tool with which i can read these file but not result yet.

• You read dump files with a debugger, something like Windbg (also need the symbols files for SQL Server). That said, it's not something that's easy to understand.

If it was SQL 2008, I'd say call CSS, but 2000 is out of support. Maybe consider patching it to SP4 and with very latest hotfit and see if the problem occurs again.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hello Gila,

Thanks for reply.

DB Upgrade is out of scope as business does not want to change any thing.

Also, can you provide the link for the debugging tool.

• Windbg. Google it. You also need the public symbols for SQL Server, a good understanding of hex and low-level code and a lot of time and patience.

Honestly, my recommendation stands, patch the server (there were lots of bugs fixed in SP4) and see if it reoccurs. Access Violations can be hell to track down anyway.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply