SQL MI Stop/Start Billing

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL MI Stop/Start Billing

• isnt' that 11 hours????

• 17-7 = 10, and then some minutes. Given that billing is per started hour, I'd venture that the available answers fall short.

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.

• I just went for the largest! I guess there's a SSC discount that wasn't discussed? 😀

• What should we do when the answers are flawed like this?  I also went for 9 hours because I assumed that was the intended correct response...

At the end of most articles is a small blurb called a person's signature which exists to provide information about how to get in touch with the person posting, including their email address, phone number, address, or where they're located. Signatures have become the graffiti of computers. People put song lyrics, pictures, philosophical quotes, even advertisements in them. (Note, however, that advertising in your signature will more often than provoke negative responses until you take it out.)

• I would have expected the answer to be 11 hours. Am I missing some fact about how the charges are calculated, or does the question have a typo?

• chris.mackenzie 149 wrote:

What should we do when the answers are flawed like this?  I also went for 9 hours because I assumed that was the intended correct response...

We wait until the question in case is modified in some way, and then hopefully we feel there is an appropriate answer available.

• I'd have gone for 10 or 11 since, given a startup time of 5 minutes, it comes online at 7:05 and goes offline at 17:05, which is exactly 10 hours, but might be 11! None of the answers offer that option, so either I'm missing something or the answers are flawed.

Derek

• The way this question is asked it would be 11 hours, but I do get the confusion: that's what happens when British people try to Americanize the question, LOL. 17:05pm -  ROFL. Either 17:05 (Americans call it military time) or 5:05pm.

• Aleksandr Furman wrote:

The way this question is asked it would be 11 hours, but I do get the confusion: that's what happens when British people try to Americanize the question, LOL. 17:05pm -  ROFL. Either 17:05 (Americans call it military time) or 5:05pm.

Yeah, I noted that, but I'm quite willing to look past that. It's an "A for effort" type of thing.

However, from what I've gleaned, billing stops when the the instance is in the "Stopped" state, which will typically be 5 minutes after the Stop command is issued. Billing starts when the instance leaves the "Stopped" state, which is immediately when the "Start" command is issued. That would make it <>Stopped for 10 hours and 10 minutes, and given that billing is done for started hours, we land on 11 hours.

However, if billing starts when the instance is "Online", that should typically take 20 minutes, so then it's "Online" from 07:25 to 17:05, which is 9 hours and 40 minutes. That still means 10 hours of billing.

Moreover, it seems billing is based on the hours of the clock, not the difference between start time and stop time. In that case, billing will be for the hours from 07 to 17, which again is 11 hours.

• It is, or was, 11. However, I'm an idiot and lazy and apparently can't tell time. I mess up meetings across time zones all the time. So if you want to book a meeting with me, you need to book it or I'll be off by hours.

I've edited this to be 9am, so the 9 hours is the time. We are billed by the hour.

Of course, now with MS Fabric, I might have to recheck things.

• Totally read the start/stop times wrong when I entered my answer, but figured you were billed by no less than one hour increments because ... Azure.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply