SQL Memory Madness

• Hello All... I am trying to understand some best practices in memory management for SQL and when to panic. ; )

So... I have four SQL 05 instances on a x64 server with 16G of RAM. I am using the SQL Heartbeat tool to periodically monitor the "health" of the server / instance in addition to the perf mon on the box itself, SQL Profiler to get some detail, etc...

To that end I have a few questions / observations.

1. I have allocated "Max" memory as follows default 8GB, inst2 2GB, inst3 2gb, inst4 3GB. I notice that the system is paging at about 16GB consistently. If I reduce the MAX memory for an instance or two, the PF usage seems to drop in pseudo-direct proportion. I assume because each instance grabs the MAX memory and does not let go. There are other things running here including ESRI's SDE, the OS, etc... Is there a "best practice" formula to consider when allocating MAX memory for each one of these instances?

2. I notice the seek time statistic (SQL heartbeat) spikes around 2200ms throughout the day - probably every 2-4 minutes. There are many "in-house" and "vendor supported" apps on this box. I can dig into the way our in-house apps are developed / configured and am doing so. However, the "vendor-supported" apps are somewhat off limits. Are there best practices surrounding Seek Time optimization?

I realize these are certainly open-ended and broad questions and that I have provided little detail. I guess I am looking for some overall advice. Thanks folks!

• You may want to check out this article: http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1299068,00.html.

I also believe you are not leaving enough memory for the OS. I have rad somewhere, and I can't find where, that you need to leave 4GB for the OS when running 64 bit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply