sql memory configuration on server with 4G momory

• hi there, I have a server with 4G phisical memory. How should I configure SQL server running on it? should I use dynamic memory configuration or fixed memory?

And should I enable awe? I noticed currently the running value for awe is 0, is that awe is not enabled?

I remembered that I read somewhere that if you have more than 2G memory to use you need to enable awe....wanna comfirm this here...

Thanks a lot!

• I believe will only be able to use AWE if you are running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and SQL 2000 Enterprise. To allow SQL Server to allocate more than 2GB of memory you will need to set the /3GB setting in the boot.ini and use the AWE Option. This should get you to the 3GB mark. If you need to go higher than 3GB in SQL you'll need to add more memory to your machine and set /PAE in the boot.ini... this will allow windows to allocate and manage more than 4GB of memory.

/3GB forces windows to allocate 1GB for itself instead of 2GB.

/PAE allows widows to allocate more than 4GB of memory using a third party memory management driver (Intel)

A system with 8GB of ram with /3GB and /PAE set could allocate 7GB of memory to SQL with AWE Enabled.

Check out MSDN for more information on this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adminsql/ad_1_server_1fnd.asp

• Actually the same thing was available in SQL 7 and NT but the name was different of "Extended Memory". See "extended memory size Option" in SQL 7 BOL. For 2000 it is callled "Address Windowing Extensions" and the best source is "Managing AWE Memory" in SQL 2000 BOL (it is only available in Enterprise and Developer Editions).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply