SQL MAIL Slow to Start

• SQL Mail has been working on our development server for a couple of years just fine and is configured the same as the test and production servers.  The SQL Mail works fine on our test and production servers; but, not on the development server.  I have tried rebooting to correct it with no success.  The problem does not appear to be from a patch as the servers are very nearly all in line with one another.

I can send email from a DTS Package send mail task and the operation takes a fraction of a second.  Using xp_sendmail it fails with error "failed with mail error 0x80040111".  I have narrowed the problem down to a long start time for xp_startmail (75 seconds).  When I run xp_startmail from query analyzer I get the following:

SQL Mail session started.

Server: Msg 18025, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

xp_startmail: failed with mail error 0x80040111

The strange part about that message is that is says it started the service but it reports a failure.

Using the test button in Enterprise Manager on the properties of the SQL Mail Service it also takes 75 seconds to start but eventually reports that it successfully started and stopped the MAPI service.

Anyone have some helpful hints?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Can you please post your sql server version..Run the following and post it..

Select @@version

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• SQL Server Version=

Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86)   May  3 2005 23:18:38   Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

• 0x80040111  = Logon failed.

My intial questions.

1. Did it ever work earlier?

2. Startup account of SQL is same as you configured Mail profile? If yes, can you try deleting and recreating the profile used by SQLMail?

If its taking more time to give error message, I feel there might be something wrong with exchange server (??)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply