SQL Mail Setup Error.

• I have a Windows 2000 Sever with SQL Sevrer 2000 SP3a Installed. MS Outlook 2003 is also installed and Outlook Express is also installed.

The MSSQL Service & the SQLSEVERAGENT accounts use a windows domain account to start the services. This account also has domain Admin rights.

I have logged into the Server with the service account that starts the SQL Services and set up a mail profile.

When I go to the properties of SQL Mail in the Support Services folder and select the drop down list, I cannot see the profile I created. When I manually type it in and press the "Test" button I get the following error;

"xp_sendmail: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

Although outlook express is present on the server, I have selected outlook 2003 as the default mail client to use.

Can anyone assist? Do I have to UnInstall Outlook Express to get this working?

Kindest Regards,

• Once upon a time, long long ago, I managed to get SQL Mail to work.. sort of.. It was clunky at best, and a real pain to find all the quirks that were specific to my environment...

Since then, I've completely forgotten about MAPI woes, waved goodbye to it and now walks the SMTP path. For me it works just fine, perhaps it could serve you as well..?

Have a look at http://www.sqldev.net/xp/xpsmtp.htm and see if it can be something worth investigating.

/Kenneth

• Check under Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs that Outlook is the default email client.

• I know this iwll sound like a help desk reply, but have you rebooted since setting up the mail profile? I have seen where this has solved the same problem. Also have you tested the mail profile using Outlook 2003?

Otherwise I agree with Kenneth. SMTP is the way to go. The only thing that I use SQL Server Agent Mail for is for alerts and failed jobs, and I could write a script that runs regularly and checks for failed jobs and send out an email using SMTP.

• Aside from ensuring that Outlook 2003 (not Outlook Express) is the default mail client, have you tried restarting the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services?  These services may not be aware of the new mail profile until they are restarted.  (Of course, rebooting the server would take care of this as well ... )

Regards,

Steve K

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply