sql mail issue

• Hi one of our production sql server is not able to send sql mails (earlier it was fine from last 5 days onwards this issue is happening)

we r not using microsoft exchange server smtponlt we r using

when i check inetmgr: iis port is 25 some mails r in que but end users r not ale to get mails from sql

when i check this path (C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Queue) mail r in que

please reply

Thanks in advance

• replys please it is a critical issue in our production box

thanks in advance

• What has changed? Did the Exchange Server get restarted? Did the password get changed for the SQL Server Agent or SQL Server service account? Have you tried restarting SQL Server Agent?

• I would try and verify if it is a problem with your server or the smtp server that you are trying to send mail through. Can other servers send mail through the same server?

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• SQL Mail has always been a bit of a pig.

This is culled from some FAQ I stumbled across many moons ago when I had the same issue.

You must have apermanent connection to the POP/SMTP server to use SQL Mail. If at any time during this process any dialog boxes appear that require a response (such as clicking OK to log on) or you are prompted to enter a password, it will not work with SQL Mail. For an Internet mail connection to work with SQL Mail you must have 100% connectivity or SQL Mail is not usable and you might have to restart your server to clear up the problem.

The reason for this is that SQL Mail does not provide for retries when accessing a POP3 account. If SQL Mail cannot connect to the POP3 server on the first attempt, the Internet Mail Connector normally opens a dialog box that prompts you to click OK to retry. It that should occur, SQL Mail, which is running as part of the MSSQLServer service, never sees the dialog box and stops responding at this point. You might have to stop the Mapisp32.exe application or even restart your Windows NT computer to clear the problem.

To test MAIL connectivity from the server (the mail server responses may vary)..

Note: this example is not using a real mail server

Open a command prompt on the server with the issue (user entry in bold).

If you cannot connect it will return an error message (usually).

C:> telnet mymailserver 25

220 MYMAILSERVER.DOM.LOCAL MYMAIL Internal SMTP Relay host Thu, 22 Mar 2006 23:50:47 +0000

helo myorg.com

250 MYMAILSERVER.DOM.LOCAL Hello [XX.XX.XX.XX]

mail from:mySender

250 2.1.0 mySender@myorg.com....Sender OK

rcpt to:mymailbox@myorg.com

250 2.1.5 mymailbox@myorg.com

data

354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

test mail using telnet

250 2.6.0 <xxx@xxxx.DOM.LOCAL> Queued mail for delivery

quit

221 2.0.0 MYMAILSERVER.DOM.LOCAL Service closing transmission channel

c:\>

Don't forget the "." at the end of your message.

• thank you all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply