SQL Mail in SQL 2005

• Hi,

When I right click the SQL Mail on my sql 2005 and choose Properties, I get this error message:

xp_get_mapi_profiles: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client  cannot fullfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 17930)

I already checked that the SQL Mail feature is enabled on SQL Service Area Configuration.  Also, on my local pc, I also have the SQL 2000 and I have no problem using that SQL mail on it.

Anyone know what the cause is or the solution to it??

• to use mapi you must install a mapi client for the account under which sql server/agent runs.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• how many mapi client is needed for the account under which the sql server/agent runs?

Like I said, there is a sql 2000 in my machine, in addition to sql 2005.  SQL mail is a feature that exists in both versions (of course one of them is a legacy feature).  With sql 2000, I can use sql mail without any problem.  It is in SQL 2005 I am having problem.

So are you saying that I need to have a separate Mapi client install for each of these sql server instances?  I thought they need is one?  Please let me know the details as I don't really understand too much of what is a mapi client.

• Just guessing here, but are your two instances (2000 and 2005) both running as the same account?  The sql service uses its account credentials to login to a MAPI profile.  If not, either change it or log in using the new instance's account and redo the MAPI profile.

That being said, I would scrap all MAPI based mail and just use Database Mail.

Dylan Peters
    SQL Server DBA

• Agreed, iMail  ( smtp ) mail is better. You need an outlook client install to match your or setup for sql 2005 service account.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I used the same domain account to start both my sql server 2000 and sql server 2005 (same for the sql server agent).  I know how to use DBMail but was wondering what was causing that annoying error on the legacy sqlmail on sql 2005.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply