SQL Mail

• Is it possible to make contingency for when SQL sends a mail as a result of an alert but the mail server simply fails to deliver? I think I know the answer her but checking.

Found nothing on google but advise on how to set up Dbmail; it has worked perfectly until this one incident.

• The query below shows information about how mail has been processed according to SQL Server (see [sent_status] column). But if the mail failed on the SMTP-server without a proper feedback to SQL, SQL will be unaware of that failure.

-- show a list of all mail-items

SELECT

sysmail_allitems.mailitem_id

, sent_status

, recipients

, subject, body

, send_request_date

, send_request_user

, sent_date

, sysmail_allitems.last_mod_date

, sysmail_event_log.event_type

, sysmail_event_log.description

FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_allitems

LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.sysmail_event_log

ON sysmail_allitems.mailitem_id = sysmail_event_log.mailitem_id

where send_request_date > dateadd(dd, -7, getdate())

--and sent_status = 'failed'

order by

send_request_date desc

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • HappyGeek (10/21/2016)

Is it possible to make contingency for when SQL sends a mail as a result of an alert but the mail server simply fails to deliver? I think I know the answer her but checking.

Found nothing on google but advise on how to set up Dbmail; it has worked perfectly until this one incident.

Perhaps you can additionally query (all) the SQL servers from a central management location for raised alerts and check the results against the mails sent/received? But you have to wonder if it is important enough to put that much effort in something that normally works for 99% of the time.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Think we have convinced management there are some things that it is not possible to mitigate for! Used a similar query to show management the agent had done what it was supposed to, thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply