SQL Logs placed on a Starwind high availability SAN (iScsi)

• Anyone know of any issues with some SQL log files being placed on a iScsi drive that is based on a "clustered" Starwind high availability SAN?

We are putting one LIVE next week with minimal testing (great!) and I want to know how the SQL Server would cope with 1 SAN falling over and the iScsi switching to the second SAN. Network guys say its fine, network guys don't know SQL!

Its a non clustered SQL server, its just the log files will be placed on this drive.

• While I don't have any experience with the HA side of the StarWind product I would be worried about the loss of data at the failover to the other node.

I'm curious why you are only using iSCSI for the logs?

CEWII

• open MS iSCSI Initiator and go to targets tab, make sure that all paths are connected. Are you using MPIO for the iSCSI targets?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Elliott Whitlow (10/22/2011)

While I don't have any experience with the HA side of the StarWind product I would be worried about the loss of data at the failover to the other node.

I'm curious why you are only using iSCSI for the logs?

CEWII

Resource issue I'm afraid with only a certain amount of space provided to us. It would certain minimise the risk of data loss if the data files were up there too i.e. IThe server can't see anything therefore won't even attempting to insert!

• Perry Whittle (10/22/2011)

open MS iSCSI Initiator and go to targets tab, make sure that all paths are connected. Are you using MPIO for the iSCSI targets?

Did you mean to post this in my other topic? Much appreciated although that is kinda resolved now (paths were all in place...MPIO also in place but quite messy therefore probably didn't help matters as if it did need to failover the alternatives were not available)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply