sql logs

• hi.......

i hav a table in sql database...i want keep track of the table when user perform any operation like insert ,update n delete on that table.how can i do this with the help of sql logs.... plz reply

• You can't examine the logs directly in SQL Server, you'd need a third party tool for that. Maybe you should consider a trigger on you table to record such activites.

• You might want to try setting up a server-side trace. That will allow you to capture all the calls against the database. Another option is to look at SQL Server 2008 and the Change Data Capture utility.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I think SQL 2008 can answer to your needs. I'm against with triggers, it will degrade the performance of a database.

• Hi,

I've used triggers to perform this type of task.

Performance has not really been an issue in my case.

I guess you need to estimate how often you expect the trigger to fire before you implement a trigger strategy.

Here is a sample trigger that you could use against the whole database.... you'll need to create the DDLEventLog table first, then create the trigger. As I mentioned this is for the whole database but you can do the same on table object too.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[DDLEventLog](

[DDLEventLogID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[AuditDate] [datetime] NULL,

[EventType] [varchar](15) NULL,

[ServerName] [varchar](100) NULL,

[DatabaseName] [varchar](50) NULL,

[DBUserName] [varchar](100) NULL,

[ObjectType] [varchar](25) NULL,

[ObjectName] [varchar](50) NULL,

[CommandText] [nvarchar](2000) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [TRG_DDL_EventLog]

ON DATABASE

FOR DDL_DATABASE_LEVEL_EVENTS

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @xmlEventData XML

SET @xmlEventData = EVENTDATA()

INSERT INTO DDLEventLog

(

AuditDate,

EventType,

ServerName,

DatabaseName,

DBUserName,

ObjectType,

ObjectName,

CommandText

)

SELECT

REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR(50), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/PostTime)')), 'T', ' '),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(15), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/EventType)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(25), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ServerName)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(25), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/DatabaseName)')),

SUSER_NAME(),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(25), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectType)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(25), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(MAX), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/TSQLCommand/CommandText)'))

END

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply