SQL Logins from 2005 to 2012, but also to new domain.

• Hi everyone,

I wondered if someone might lend me a bit of advice based on their experience?

I have migrated SQL logins before, but this was from 2005 to 2008R2, I realize that things have changed and sp_helprev_login has been deprecated on later versions. I need to script out an recreate the SQL logins, but they will be going to 2012, where I believe sp_help_rev_login is a thing of the past. I also have to move them to a restored database in a new domain, so I was wondering how anybody out there dealt that? SQL 2005 logins, to SQL 2012 in a new domain.

The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is manually recreating the users from scratch in the new domain, but this would be prone to mistakes, missing logins etc., is there any way to bridge the gap using standard SQL tools?

Regards,
    D.

• Duran - Monday, July 31, 2017 8:46 PM

Hi everyone,

I wondered if someone might lend me a bit of advice based on their experience?

I have migrated SQL logins before, but this was from 2005 to 2008R2, I realize that things have changed and sp_helprev_login has been deprecated on later versions. I need to script out an recreate the SQL logins, but they will be going to 2012, where I believe sp_help_rev_login is a thing of the past. I also have to move them to a restored database in a new domain, so I was wondering how anybody out there dealt that? SQL 2005 logins, to SQL 2012 in a new domain.

The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is manually recreating the users from scratch in the new domain, but this would be prone to mistakes, missing logins etc., is there any way to bridge the gap using standard SQL tools?

Regards,
    D.

sql server logins or windows logins

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• sp_help_revlogin works all the way through SQL2016 and beyond, so stick with that, or it's enhanced user-contributed cousin sp_help_revlogin_roles[/url]

as far as changing domains, if you can guarantee that mydomain\lowell has a new equivilent acocunt of mynewdomain\lowell, and was not changed to mynewdomain\lowell_Lastname, then you can just find-and-replace, and trim out any accounts you don't need from the results.
    you'll get errors for each windows user or group you try to add, and it does not exist, so it's easy to trouble shoot, or to pass the missing list to teh domain admins.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply