SQL Load Balancing with Availability Groups

• We are having a conversation at work and the subject of load balancing with SQL came up. Right now we are running SQL Server 2014 on four (4) machines. I am using a AlwaysOn with Availability Groups (AG). Now I know that we can scale out the reading in AG by allowing the secondary serves to receive reads. Is there a way to be able to do this with writes? Can I have in essences 2 masters that some how reconcile with each other? We are expecting a huge amount of writes in the near future and we need a way for SQL to handle the amount of traffic we are expecting with out any issues.

I explored the possibility of Peer - to - Peer replication; however, it seems that it would be more work if we are constantly making updates to the database scheme. I am just looking for any ideas that could be of use.

Thank you

• mqbk (8/28/2014)

Is there a way to be able to do this with writes? Can I have in essences 2 masters that some how reconcile with each other?

No, that is not a feature that is offered in AlwaysOn Availability groups

mqbk (8/28/2014)

I explored the possibility of Peer - to - Peer replication

Currently, that is the only option open to you, apart from moving to an Oracle RAC environment 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I kind of figured that would be the answer. I was hoping someone was smarter than I and discovered some type of work around.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply