SQL Litespeed backup taking too long

• Hi All,

700 GB of db( on Windows 2003, SQL 2005 Server) was taking 4 hours to backup (using Litespeed) on a RAID 3 disk but its taking over 8 hours to complete these days. The database has lot of blob entries though I'm wondering is Litspeed taking too long to compress the blob entries?

My SAN team upgraded the disk from SATA disk to FC disk (fibre channel) but still no luck.

I'm wondering is blob entries causing backup to take too long?

Thanks in advance.

• Not used litespeed in a while, but are you using the dynamic compression feature where it determins the best compression level or have you just set it to the max level. Think the dynamic is only available in the latest release.

Have you run through the compression level check to see if you can change the ratio to backup faster but have slightly larger db's etc

• Any new processes scheduled to run during the backup period? If the overall size of the DB is the same and the type of data remains the same it shouldn't take that much longer. I had similar issues and found out that some scheduled jobs kicked off during backup that really dragged it down.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Hahn - MCSomething someday:-)
    Right way to ask for help!!
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    I post so I can see my avatar :hehe:
    I want a personal webpage 😎
    I want to win the lotto 😀
    I want a gf like Tiffa :w00t: Oh wait I'm married!:-D

• thank you all for your responses.

We use Litespeed backup SP to backup databases changing @thread from 1 to 2 has reduced backup time by half it took only four hours lastnight.

I'm soo pleased!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply