SQL licensing for a training version of a web site

• I have an environment with test, QA and prod environment for web sites. Test and QA are running Dev 2005 64bit edition and production is running enterprise 64bit. I've discovered that one of the databases on the QA server is also being used as training web site. I'm told the database and training site on the QA cannot move to the production environment.

Is it acceptable to use the QA database to train end-users since there is a production instances of this site using enterprise edition?

Do I need to install a new instance of SQL server on the QA server using a production edition?

My guess is that I do and have looked into installing SQL Express as a new instance and copy the database over then modify the training site to use that instance.

Before I go through all of this I'm hoping someone clarify this for me.

Thanks

David

• If I read correctly how MS Licenses the Developer Edition:

SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition is licensed per developer and must be used for designing, developing, and testing purposes only.

Testing Training......

You should probably change to SQL Express as you suggested to be in compliance.

• Thanks for the validation. I'm planning on going down the Express or Workgroup path if more resources are needed.

- David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply