SQL License Based on Email, not Key ?

• We have a SQL 2016 install in "Evaluation" mode. We bought a license, but being told from the reseller that we don't need the usual key like  "1234-ABCD-5678-EFGH-IJKL ", and that our license is linked to the email used to purchase the license. But how do we upgrade the license to Standard from Evaluation based on Email ?

Or is the reseller wrong, and neglected to provide us with a key ?

The "Upgrade" screen displays a box to enter the traditional license key.

I am getting this info 2nd hand from a co-worker, and have not spoken with the reseller myself.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  homebrew01.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• The reseller sounds slightly incorrect. You always need a key for licensing. Maybe they are holding the key to keep you going back to them, but they shouldn't.

you need some key to enter and ensure you are tracking licenses you have.

• I don't know all the details of licensing so my answer might not be relevant in your situation.

I wonder if the reseller is referring to the Microsoft License portal. I don't know if it still exists but there used to be a portal you could log into and get your license keys. The username for the portal was an email address. Perhaps Microsoft or the reseller created a profile on the portal for you to login into. The retailer should be able to advise if that's the case?

We had a portal login at a previous workplace but a colleague set it up so I'm not sure of the details.

As Steve said you need a key to enter and track licenses.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  as_1234. Reason: Added "The username for the portal was an email address"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply