SQL keeps crashing

• Hi,

This is similar to a previous post 5 days ago. SQL server is not responding. You can't connect via ssms or odbc or run anything. The CPU is at 5% and the memory is at 75% so nothing concerning there however around the time of the connections dropping off and staying off there is an entry in the event log as per below. This is SQL server 2014 enterprise the latest build.

The description for Event ID 17052 from source MSSQLSERVER cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Severity: 16 Error:258, OS: 258 [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: Timeout error [258].

Can anyone shed some light on this as a matter of urgency

Thanks,

Kris

• What is in your SQL error log (ie not the windows error log)?

My guess (without seeing your system and seeing ONLY what you posted) is that there is some sort of TCP related error happening, but that shouldn't crash SQL Server; just MAY prevent connections to it in the event something is stealing that IP/PORT pair OR something is busted in the NIC OR the bandwidth is completely saturated on that server.

I'd check the SQL logs as well as any network logs, windows system logs, if it is on a VM, then any VM logs... basically, check all of the logs.  ONE (or more) will likely tell you what is wrong.  Might not hurt to check your network bandwidth during the "crashes" too as if your bandwidth is saturated (100 Mbps link running at 100 Mbps) you are going to get TCP timeouts.

I would also try looking for a pattern.  Is the crashing on a schedule for example?  If so, what tasks are scheduled to run at that time (antivirus, updates, backups, etc).

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply