SQL inplace upgrade from sqlexpress to standard edition in VM Google cloud

• Hello Team,

planning to do SQL in place upgrade from sql2016express to sql2016 standard edition in VM Google cloud(on demand) license

How to get image or iso file in google cloud

I will appreciate your help

• Thanks above link related to CLoudsql(fully managed)

Any idea how to upgrade in VM(compute engine) sql express to sql standard edition

I will appreciate your help

• If you're willing to do an in-place upgrade, it's really simple. Get the media for the Standard (or any other) edition on to the VM (how you do that is up to you, download, move through attached storage, carrier pigeon, whatever). Start running the installation code for Standard. Choose "Maintenance". Right there you'll find "Edition Upgrade".

That's it. It's simple.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hello Grant Fritchey

Thanks for your reply

Your right if we go with MS license get the media we can perform easily but

My question is customer want go with google license(on demand) monthly billing

Need to know how to get the Standard edition through Compute engine image catalog or  google cloud marketplace

hope you understand my question

• I think that's how you have to do it there too. You can't simply upgrade the VM in place. It just doesn't work like that. Once you have a VM, it's a VM. So, the solution is likely to not do an in-place upgrade and actually do a side-by-side upgrade. I would expect the same in Azure BTW.

I don't see anything searching around Google Cloud that works the way AWS or Azure does. They both have mechanisms for upgrades in place within a VM. Azure even allows for the kind of licensing upgrade you want. Basically, following the mechanism required for a VM, but you also use their licensing. Probably the same within Google.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks Fritchey

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply