SQL Hung

• Dear All,

My production sql server was hung on a specific day for about 2-3 hours. Can some one help how can i do the post mortem report and what has caused that issue. Thanks in Advance!

• What is this PDW & Poly Database movement about? I see some errors on those services in my SQL log.

• haichells wrote:

What is this PDW & Poly Database movement about? I see some errors on those services in my SQL log.

We can't see your logs.  You should post the errors so that people actually stand a better chance of helping.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• PDW is parallel data warehouse. It's a huge appliance that your company paid a ton of money for. Read about it here. Polybase is a way to query other database engines, Oracle and a bunch of others, directly from within SQL Server. Read about that here.

As to understanding what happened on your system, since you're posting in the 2017 forum, we can take advantage of the system_health Extended Events session. Read about it here. It's going to show you a bunch of the stuff you need. What was hung, why, etc. However, it's not easy to dig through, so get ready to learn how to use the tools & data.

Other than that, I'm with Jeff. I can't see your servers, logs, etc., so it's really hard to make any concrete suggestions.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply