SQL help filtering numbers

• Hi,

I am looking for a more elegant way to filter numbers out of names. This works but costs a lot:

select usercode as [User#], UserName [User Name], Email from DTBL_Users where UserName<>''

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%1%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%2%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%3%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%4%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%5%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%6%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%7%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%8%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%9%')

and username not in (select username from dbo.DTBL_Users where username like '%0%')

and usercode<641

order by usercode

Thanks

• Clarification please. Do you want to select only rows without numbers or do you want to return all strings, only with numbers removed?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I don't want any names (rows) like "HOLD UNTIL 10-18-05" or "BLACK-MAIER101709"

• More elegant (actually lesser lines of code - not the most elegant) would be:

select usercode as [User#], UserName [User Name], Email from DTBL_Users where UserName not like '%[0-9]%'

• Cool, thanks!

• Winash, I would have gone with not like '%[0-9]%' being most elegant. What have you got that tops it?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I don't have anything that tops the "not like %[0-9]%" 🙂

I only said it might not be the most elegant since someone else might come up with a more elegant solution...heh...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply