SQL Function

• I have a table set up where every part in an assembly that has sub-parts is set up in a table with a parent_id column and a part_id column. If a part exists in a table I need to recursively look up the part to find all sub parts, sub-sub parts, sub-sub-sub parts, etc. to build a Bill of Materials. I have VB front end but was trying to minimize the round trips to the database. Any suggestions?

• You could use recursion,but it be very dangerous and I do not recommend it. I've easily screwup up a desktop with recursion and I'd hate to whack my db server with a mistake.

I have done this with a table where I loop through and insert values into the table as I find them. Then select the results from this table. Make either a perm or temp table.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• We've come across this problem some time ago and the solution offered was developing two tables. Let's call it Table1 and Table2.

Table1 contains all objects (with their properties) including two essential fields(identifier and parent identifier). Table2 contains all descendant objects for every object in Table1. Surely we had to write stored procedures to create, update or delete new object but the operation of retrieving of child objects got much easier.

Please, e-mail me if you'tr confronted with troubles.

• here's a simple recursion that lists all the parts which are descendents to a part_id

DECLARE @Parts TABLE

(

Colidint identity,

Part_idint,

Part_novarchar(10),

Parent_idint

)

DECLARE @Colidint

DECLARE @PartIdint

SET @Partid = 1--Parameter passed

SET @Colid = 1

INSERT INTO @Parts

SELECT Part_id,Part_no,@Partid

FROM Parts

WHERE Part_id = @Partid

WHILE 0 = 0

BEGIN

SELECT @Partid = Part_Id

FROM @Parts

WHERE Colid = @Colid

INSERT INTO @Parts

SELECT Part_id,Part_no,@Partid

FROM Parts

WHERE Parent_id = @Partid

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM @Parts) = @Colid

BEGIN

BREAK

END

SET @Colid = @Colid + 1

END

you can extend this by adding a index to denote which level does the part fall under

Hope this helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply