SQL Express missing stuff

• Hi forum readers,

I just loaded SQL Express 2016 to try a few ideas. I tried a basic install and a custom install. The basic install had a box where by I could run Transact commands, but I could not create a new database. It did tell me the version number and allowed me to quit. The custom install gave me no place to launch SQLCMD and and if I typed SQLCMD.EXE from the command prompt it told me that it did not recognize that program. SQLCMD.EXE does exist in a number of binn folders, but opening that put the command prompt window on the screen and just shut it down after a few seconds. What am I missing?

I am a retired software company owner and have not created code in a long while. I want to develop a membership system for I club I belong to so I want to review Transact statements first.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

• bob 66271 (8/12/2016)

Hi forum readers,

I just loaded SQL Express 2016 to try a few ideas. I tried a basic install and a custom install. The basic install had a box where by I could run Transact commands, but I could not create a new database. It did tell me the version number and allowed me to quit. The custom install gave me no place to launch SQLCMD and and if I typed SQLCMD.EXE from the command prompt it told me that it did not recognize that program. SQLCMD.EXE does exist in a number of binn folders, but opening that put the command prompt window on the screen and just shut it down after a few seconds. What am I missing?

I am a retired software company owner and have not created code in a long while. I want to develop a membership system for I club I belong to so I want to review Transact statements first.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Idea number 1. Download and install SQL Server 2016 Developer edition. It's free.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply