SQL Express 2008 shows 9.0 in SSMS

• I installed SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on my dev machine, but when I open SSMS and log into the SQLEXPRESS instance, it shows 9.0.3042 next to the server name node. Isn't this SQL Express 2005?

• That would be a SQL2005 version. Have you tried checking @@version or serverproperty('productversion') to see what they say? You can also check the first line logged to the SQL log. It would be interesting to know if those differ.

• It's possible you have SQL 2008 R2 SSMS and SQL2005 Express DB engine installed. Actually that's what I have on my workstation.

Was SQL Express 2005 installed on your computer before? Maybe when you did the install, instead of upgrading the deafult instance you installed a named instance of 2008, and by entering the workstation name in SSMS you get the older default 2005 instance.

• Sorry Guys,

It turned out to be an SQL 2005 installation that was previously there. I reran the SQL Express 2008 but this time, I selected the option to upgrade from 2005 and this time it worked. I now see 10.0.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply