Divide by zero error encountered.

Sample data from yachtm table..
    select serno,bargain from yachtm
    SERNO        BARGAIN
    7.90              0.0000
    8.67              0.0000
    0.00             100.0000

please give your thoughts.. thank you all so much

My thoughts are that the error message is 100% accurate. But what is your question?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:03 AM

My thoughts are that the error message is 100% accurate. But what is your question?

I agree with Phil. 0 / 0 = [Insert infinite options here] = SQL server error is correct. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Hi friends,

I understand when bargain=100.0000, I get the divide by zero error. But when bargain =0.0000 and serno=7.90,  the result should be 7.9 and I need to use the same logic (serno * 100) / (100 - bargain) for all the records..
    Please help..

Thanks a lot again

• newbieuser - Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:22 AM

Hi friends,

I understand when bargain=100.0000, I get the divide by zero error. But when bargain =0.0000 and serno=7.90,  the result should be 7.9 and I need to use the same logic (serno * 100) / (100 - bargain) for all the records..
    Please help..

Thanks a lot again

What should be the result of the divide by 0?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Is there a way to exclude those records that divide by zero in the SQL and do the calculation only for those records that is not zero in the divide by clause.. Thanks

• newbieuser - Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:31 AM

Is there a way to exclude those records that divide by zero in the SQL and do the calculation only for those records that is not zero in the divide by clause.. Thanks

You would use a where clause to exclude records. In your case add:
    WHERE serno > 0
    after the from clause.

Sue

Edit: - Oops, didn't pay enough attention to the table and mixed up you columns. See responses below.

• Use a case statement to check whether bargain = 100 and only do the division if it's not.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • newbieuser - Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:31 AM

Is there a way to exclude those records that divide by zero in the SQL and do the calculation only for those records that is not zero in the divide by clause.. Thanks

Of course, add
    WHERE BARGAIN <> 100
    to the bottom of your query.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks a lot everyone

• There is a third option.  I don't have the time right now to do a comparison.

select (serno * 100) / NULLIF(100 - bargain, 0) from yachtm

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply