SQL DBA high ended question (5+ years’ experience)

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/6/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

I would like to know SQL DBA high ended question (5+ years’ experience) what kind of questions they will ASK …………………. Just for curiosity

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

You're the newly hired Sr. DBA for a company. There are no other DBAs. The previous DBA quit a month ago.

Explain in great detail what your first "real" day (normally, the 2nd actual day. The first actual day is usually wasted on paper work and seeing if you can handle a specimen cup without getting your hands wet, etc) will consist of.

On the 3rd "real" day, a database becomes corrupt. What actions will you take?

Another version: On the 3rd "real" day, you are told that a database "may be" corrupt. You look into it and find that it has been so for months....

😎

And there are no backups 😉

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• You get a phone call. The person on the phone says the database is slow. What do you do?

Go to SQLServerCentral.com/forums (Skip Google)

Post the question

Bump every 10 mins until the database goes faster

You get a phone call. The person on the phone says the database is slow. What do you do?

"Sorry you have the wrong number".

Leave the phone off the hook. (Old phone system here)

Get some coffee.

When do I start?

• DennisPost (8/6/2014)

You get a phone call. The person on the phone says the database is slow. What do you do?

Go to SQLServerCentral.com/forums (Skip Google)

Post the question

Bump every 10 mins until the database goes faster

"Sorry you have the wrong number".

Leave the phone off the hook. (Old phone system here)

Get some coffee.

When do I start?

😀

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

Grant Fritchey (8/5/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

Guess one has to differentiate between five years of work and five years worth of experience. Questions like "what are the DAC limitations", "consequence of an idle connection holding a lock on a 'popular' resource" or "what are the Resource Governor configuration gotchas?" would make my list. Mind you the answers wouldn't have to be perfect for a 'fiver':-D

😎

DAC limitations? Not sure. Resource Governor? I know what it is and roughly how it's configured, but I haven't used it. Can I still get the job?

A big part of this comes down to what you're exposed to. I have well over 20 years experience within SQL Server, and, most of it, is real cumulative experience (as opposed to one year of experience multiplied 20 times). But there are giant gaps in my knowledge even so.

Naming one/any DAC limitation would probably do for a fiver, not knowing there are any or then again what DAC is would send them back and erase the agency's number. Resource Governor, that I admit, depends more on the environment but still I think there should be some knowledge and some recognition of keywords.

Don't worry Grant, you would still get the job;-), the point being that there are no simple questions to ask but it's a process of an assessment.

😎

Which DAC are you asking about?

Interviewing people I really appreciate if they can admit when they don't know something. No one can have deep knowledge about every aspect. Blowhards and liars usually make things worse overall.

• How about a very simple one?

Please write the T-SQL code to count from 1 to 10.

There are many correct answers and how they answer can tell you a lot. You only get one guess who I heard this one from. 😉

• Ed Wagner (8/6/2014)

How about a very simple one?

Please write the T-SQL code to count from 1 to 10.

There are many correct answers and how they answer can tell you a lot. You only get one guess who I heard this one from. 😉

Actually, that's one of the questions that I frequently ask except it's to a million and the results have to be stored in a table.

And I don't actually care if someone uses a loop or not. It's absolutely amazing how many people can't do this simple task even using a loop. They'd have a heart attack if I turned it into the classic "Fizz Buzz" question.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Koen Verbeeck (8/6/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/6/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

I would like to know SQL DBA high ended question (5+ years’ experience) what kind of questions they will ASK …………………. Just for curiosity

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

You're the newly hired Sr. DBA for a company. There are no other DBAs. The previous DBA quit a month ago.

Explain in great detail what your first "real" day (normally, the 2nd actual day. The first actual day is usually wasted on paper work and seeing if you can handle a specimen cup without getting your hands wet, etc) will consist of.

Another version: On the 3rd "real" day, you are told that a database "may be" corrupt. You look into it and find that it has been so for months....

😎

And there are no backups 😉

...and it's probably the reason for the previous DBA running out of there...

😎

• benjamin.reyes (8/6/2014)

Guess one has to differentiate between five years of work and five years worth of experience. Questions like "what are the DAC limitations", "consequence of an idle connection holding a lock on a 'popular' resource" or "what are the Resource Governor configuration gotchas?" would make my list. Mind you the answers wouldn't have to be perfect for a 'fiver':-D

😎

DAC limitations? Not sure. Resource Governor? I know what it is and roughly how it's configured, but I haven't used it. Can I still get the job?

A big part of this comes down to what you're exposed to. I have well over 20 years experience within SQL Server, and, most of it, is real cumulative experience (as opposed to one year of experience multiplied 20 times). But there are giant gaps in my knowledge even so.

Naming one/any DAC limitation would probably do for a fiver, not knowing there are any or then again what DAC is would send them back and erase the agency's number. Resource Governor, that I admit, depends more on the environment but still I think there should be some knowledge and some recognition of keywords.

Don't worry Grant, you would still get the job;-), the point being that there are no simple questions to ask but it's a process of an assessment.

😎

Interviewing people I really appreciate if they can admit when they don't know something. No one can have deep knowledge about every aspect. Blowhards and liars usually make things worse overall.

Dedicated Administrative Connection, kind of a Stay out of jail thingy

😎

benjamin.reyes (8/6/2014)

😎

😎

😎

Just making sure you don't ding someone for giving correct detailed examples on deployment methodology, and why precision may not be preserved with some data types.

• Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

That is too easy. I would sit down at my desk and pull out 3 envelopes. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

Someone said "always look out for multi purpose moves", been offered a scapegoat position too often in the past, it is tough but one learns. A "fiver" might be we entering that arena so watch out.

😎

😎

😎

😎

And the first results from google that refer to BOL show the following. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210546.aspx :w00t:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (8/6/2014)

😎

😎

😎

And the first results from google that refer to BOL show the following. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210546.aspx :w00t:

Yeah, DAC has about 6 meanings these days.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! And then let the 5 monkeys fill them out! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• GilaMonster (8/6/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/6/2014)

😎

😎

😎

Yeah, DAC has about 6 meanings these days.

Duck and Cover?

Deputy Assistant Commissioner?

Disaster Assistance Center

Data Acquisition Computer

Device Access Code

Data Authentication Code

Drug and Alcohol Counselor

Dedicated Admin Console

Dedicated Admin Connection

Durban Automotive Cluster

Dac...Pac

What were we talking about? :-D:-D:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply