SQL DB is in redo/undo phase while restoring for more than 3 HRs on SQL 2016

• Hello, I am trying to restore a SQL DB where it's in redo/undo phase for more than 3 - 4 HRs on SQL Server 2016 (13.0.1601). Is there anyway I can check the status and find out the estimation completion time?

Please help as I am not sure if its stuck or should I wait for it complete or not.

Thanks!

• You can check the status of your restore operation with the dynamic managment view sys.dm_exec_requests

To view only RESTORE/BACKUP operations you can include a where clause:

SELECT *

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests

WHERE command In ( 'RESTORE DATABASE', 'BACKUP DATABASE' )

One of the columns gives you percent_complete

• Terje Hermanseter (8/2/2016)

You can check the status of your restore operation with the dynamic managment view sys.dm_exec_requests

SELECT *

I thought that that didn't work for the redo/undo portions of a restore?

There's an article on the MSDN blog about tracking database recovery using various DMVs[/url] - makes use of the sys.dm_exec_requests for tracking the main recovery, and sys.dm_tran_database_transactions for the undo/redo bits.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton (8/2/2016)

I was not aware of this. You are right.

There's an article on the MSDN blog about tracking database recovery using various DMVs[/url] - makes use of the sys.dm_exec_requests for tracking the main recovery, and sys.dm_tran_database_transactions for the undo/redo bits.

Great article. Bookmarked!

• ThomasRushton (8/2/2016)

Terje Hermanseter (8/2/2016)

You can check the status of your restore operation with the dynamic managment view sys.dm_exec_requests

SELECT *

No, but you'll still be able to see the overall percent complete and runtime, etc for the parent task, it's better than nowt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply