SQL Database Connection Failure - ProNest 2019

• I'm stumped - any help is appreciated since I'm new to managing anything related to SQL. We're a small business using ProNest (steel plate nesting software). They have an option to setup an SQL database to track inventory. We have 3 users total. I am one of the users as well as the host for the database.

Following ProNest's instructions, my computer is all set up to host the shared database. The last step listed was to modify the "db.ini" file in the ProNest folder for the other users so that their computers know where to look to access my computer's database. However, the other users are getting errors when ProNest starts and attempts to connect to the database. I have SSMS installed and can log in to the database and view logs. Here is what I get during the failed attempts to connect: "Login failed for 'MYCOMPUTERNAME\Guest'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: 192.168.0.20] Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 5". This tells me the database is seeing the attempted connection from the other computer and blocking it. I assume this might have something to do with adding the user on our network to the Logins folder in SSMS.

Some notes:

• The database server is running on Windows 10 Pro, all other computers are also on Windows 10 Pro
    • We're all connected via ethernet to a switch on a local network. All connections to the DB will only be on the local network.
    • We are using a Workgroup to see each other's computers - no domain is set up but the other computers are on the same Workgroup
    • I assume I have to add the client's username and password to the "Logins" section of the database in SSMS. However, I am unable to select the client's computer under "Locations" using the Windows Authentication method. Only my computer shows up as the location.
    • Do the other computers need SQL express installed?

If it's not obvious, I'm definitely a novice with this. Luckily we only have to get 2 computers to connect to the database so I'm hoping this is a pretty simple fix.

• The other computers don't need to install Express. You would typically use SQL authentication when you don't have a domain. Is this an option with ProNest? Otherwise you need matching logins and passwords on the PC that has the SQL Server database. And then you add them to the logins. And it becomes a problem with password changes which is why SQL authentication tends to be less problematic in your situation.

Sue

• Thank you for the quick reply Sue! Below are the contents of the db.ini file on the other computers that ProNest uses to connect to my database - is this where I can change it to SQL authentication? If so, how do I do so and how do I set it up on the other computers to access the database? I can tell you on SSMS under "Security" settings for the ProNest database, it is set to "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode".

[Database Connection]

Provider=SQLNCLI11

Connect Timeout=30

Data Source=MYCOMPUTERNAME\PRONEST

Initial Catalog=ProNest13

Integrated Security=SSPI

FWIW, our users don't usually change their passwords on Windows (and we are rarely hiring new people in the office that will be accessing this database).

• As for the Windows Authentication method, are you saying I simply need to add the same user & password of the computer trying to access the database to my local users list? For example: if his login is "John" and password is "123456789" on his computer, that is the same credentials I would add to my local users?

• Yup...that's what I was saying. Try it with one of the users - add them to the users on your PC using the same case, password, everything. Then add that login to SQL Server, map that login to the ProNest database. Did they give you any other information in terms of any roles they should be in or permissions in the database? It should be in the documentation you were following when setting this up. Should be..doesn't mean it's there 🙂 But look through to find any info they have in regards to the setup the logins, users.

Sue

• Sue - adding the user to my computer then adding it to the Logins in the SSMS worked! They are able to connect and edit the database. I believe the ProNest Shared DB exe modified all the proper SQL parameters (including firewall rules) during install - I'm getting no errors or issues when connecting. Thank you again for the quick and simple solution!

• Your very welcome - glad it's all working now. And thanks for posting back!

Sue

• Hi Amm203,

Out of curiosity what version of the database software are you using for pronest 2019? did you need to update from the 2015 database server software or was it compatible? The installer file i have is PNSharedDB11_00.exe.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply