SQL Data Migration Tool

• Hi,

Please can someone suggest a good and easy tool other than SSIS for data migration.

I have got multiple database of identical structures/schema need to be merged into 1 database.

My base database server is SQL 2000 and it will be merged into sql 2012.

Thanks in advance.

Harsha

• Have a look at Redgate's SQL Data Compare. It's available as a fully functioning trial version, so you can decide if it is suitable.

• Thank you Steve. But this tool is not the solution what i am looking for.

1. The Redgate tool did not supported SQL 2000 :crying:

2. Its comparing the database. I want to compare to the table level. As from Source table there may be 1 table but in the source, it can be multiple table.

Does anyone had done any data migration in the past? if yes, please share your experience on the same.

Thanks,

Harsha

• I don't represent RedGate but I'm pretty sure if you hunt around their website you can download older versions which do support SQL 2000.

Alternatively, if you can't use that product, you can always write the T-SQL yourself.

• I don't think there is a magic tool where you can just select a bunch of databases and click a merge button. Depending on your database you might have to answer questions like how to handle potential primary key conflicts, foreign key load orders, identity columns etc....

As for tools just pushing data from table to table with no real ETL is relatively easy, if you're using using 2000 you can just use DTS or BCP. Also why isn't SSIS an option, it should be able to connect to a 2000 instance.

• SSIS is the only option I have know what will be helpful for me. I wanted to know, if anybody had used any other tool for data migration and merge.:-)

• I know i also hve lots of questions based on this. Thats why I am looking or seeking help to know from other experiences that we can use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply