SQL Data file issue

• Hi All ,

I have a problem with big database that occupies some space in a drive , This drive is running out of space so I want to add more data file in a new added drive

I tested a big insert ( million record ) into a table in this database HOWEVER the weird thing is data file size doesn't change at all

How come ?

Initial size is 257 GB , autogrowth by 100 MB , limited to 270 GB

and

I add 1 more data file ( path points to a new Drive ) with initial size 250 MB , autogrowth by 100 MB , unlimited

Your feedback is much appreciated

thank you

• Google some script on the web to check free space of the 257GB data file, I guess there will be some free space available. Until it's all used, autogrowth will not kick in.

• Thanks mate !

• WhiteLotus wrote:

Hi All ,

I have a problem with big database that occupies some space in a drive , This drive is running out of space so I want to add more data file in a new added drive

I tested a big insert ( million record ) into a table in this database HOWEVER the weird thing is data file size doesn't change at all

How come ?

Initial size is 257 GB , autogrowth by 100 MB , limited to 270 GB

and

I add 1 more data file ( path points to a new Drive ) with initial size 250 MB , autogrowth by 100 MB , unlimited

Your feedback is much appreciated

thank you

You can run this to find the space usgae:

https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/dba/drive-space-check-sql-server-steps-and-scripts/

https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/dba/file-and-file-group-method-testing-for-vldb-very-large-database/

Edited: To add file and file group method

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• SQL Server uses a proportional fill algorithm when the filegroup has multiple files.  This means it will check the available space in each file an proportionally use each data file when inserting/updating data.

If - for example - you have a second data file at 256MB and there is 100GB available in the first file, the SQL Server will place most of the inserts/updates on the first file.

The general recommendation is to have each file in a filegroup sized the same, and when adding a new file you want to then rebuild all indexes in the database so that SQL Server can then use this proportional fill algorithm to spread the data in each index (clustered and non-clustered) evenly across both files.

If your tables do not have a clustered index - then you need to rebuild them using ALTER TABLE ... WITH REBUILD.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Many thanks All

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply