SQL Corruption

• Just glad that you were able to get the instance back up. 😉

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• We faced the same issue of losing the tempdb files once and this is what we did....

We had cloned the existing production server but did not clone the drive containing tempdb i.e. path s:\tempdata.mdf was missing So Sql server could not start.We just created the S: on the box and tried to restart the server and it came up creating the new tempdb files.

For your case,create the exact folder at the same path it was before where your tempdb files used to reside

i hope it works!!!!!

• The sysadmin will still be able to stop SQL SErver and delete files, but you should make sure that you remove the builtin\administrators group from being an administrator in SQL SErver.

This KB will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263712

We do it on all new servers we built as a best practice.

Best of luck,

Steve

• I've done this already. However you can't restrict a server admin from stopping SQL Services from Cluster Administrator and doing what he wants to.

The good thing is this was still not in Production however, it did set everything back by a day.

• Ok cool. I mentioned that they'd still be able to stop SQL if they wanted, but figured it couldn't hurt to mention the builtin\administrators removal.

Take care,

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply