SQL Comparison Tool Recommendations?

• I am in the market for a good database comparison and synchronization tool.  I have read about the following tools thus far:

RedGate SQL Compare

DB SynchroComp

AdeptSQL Diff

ApexSQL Diff

Based on your personal experiences, what would be the best tool to buy for comparing both structure and data.  Your recommendation does not have to be limited to the above list.  I am looking for the best.

I want to here from users only, please!

Thanks

• It's not just SQLCompare, it's a bundle that includes SQLCompare, SQLDataCompare, DTSCompare, and possibly SQLPackager (not sure on the last one).  I think Red-Gate will give you the best bang for the buck.

• We use Cast 4.2 for SQL Server. (Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server) and Cast 4.2 for Oracle.

• I'd recommend Redgate - no experience of the others but very good experience of SQL Compare. It writes good scripts and is logical to use.

DTS Compare isn't as good though - slow to compare and doesn't give particularly wonderful information. I guess it does a rather harder job.

Bill.

• This is not a comparison. Just a user testimonial. I have been using Redgate SqlCompare (for comparing schema), and Redgate SqlDataCompare (for comparing data) for a number of years now. I frequently use the comparison scripts to upgrade the schema and contents of production databases (after the usual staging tests). The process is fast and trouble free.

I find the packages easy to use, and the resulting scripts are extremely well conceived. They use Isolation level transactions, so even if there is a problem, the scripts rollback perfectly.

I have had databases with complex enough dependencies such that DTS would encounter errors when I was moving them from one machine to another. In those cases, I have used the scripts from the Redgate packages to move the database schema and contents. So Redgate has definitely done their homework.

I have not had to call on Customer Support directly, but on a few occasions, I have had questions answered in a few hours by Redgate staff on their forum.

Chiefley

• I use Red Gate also, and would highly recommend it

• Redgate is a great product.  I have been using it for 2 years and the latest version is a great improvement over past versions.  No learning curve.  Highly recommend it.

• I agree with all the surrporters of the Redgate. Its a great product. Been using it for about 2 years now. no complaints yet..

Taj

Tajammal Butt

• There seems to be quite a bit of support for RedGate.  I tried the trial versions of SQLCompare and SQL Data Compare. I liked them both.  They are easy to use and seem to be well crafted.  I am currently leaning toward those products.  However, I am not as experienced as many of you and I value your advice highly.  If there is a better product, I would like to know.  I hope to be purchasing in the near future.

Thank you for your responses thus far

• Tried Redgate, AdeptSQL and ApexSQL. Sure you get a bit with Redgate but overall AdeptSQL had the best performance but don't see much going on with it. However I went with ApexSQL because it does the job and once you purchase upgrades are free for life. Plus they plan to have data comparison available at some point.

• We use Change Manager from Embarcadero, which works real well.  It does not only SQL Server, but Oracle and the other platforms as well although we just use it for SQL Server and Oracle.  Real nice compare and sync functions. 

• We use SQL Compare but I also recommend x-SQL Object (http://www.x-sql.com/).

• What about SQL Data Compare?  Do any of you have experience with that?  If so, what is your opinion?

• I have read this thread, and felt the need to post my two cents.

As of today (December 2005), ApexSQL Diff is the more professional

tool of the lot. It has a better user interface and it definitely

gets the job done right the first time.

cheers,

SteveF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply