SQL Bug!

• A support engineer for one of our pieces of software has informed us that a problem we're experiencing is "...due to a SQL bug. There is a known issue with inner joins in SQL...".

I thought I ought to mention it here; some of you may be using inner joins!

• brilliant

• Just wow.

I'm sure said engineer can point at the kb articles and/or connect items detailing said bug? Didn't think so.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm sure the bug is logged under code PEBKAC. There's an easy fix for that but it might not correct it the first time you apply it.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Software vendor "Support Engineers" usually have very little knowledge of SQL Server (just like their developers and system designers :(), but love to spout nonsense to deflect problems with their software.

Unfortunately, the incompetence of software vendors is often expressed most disastrously in their database work.

I have seen exactly one vendor database out of many dozens that I have worked with that looked like it was created by someone that understood database design.

I really wish this wasn't almost universally true, but after years of sad experience I expect it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply