SQL Buffer manager: Page life expectancy

• hi all

one of our production servers slows down greatly through out the day, it has a backend of sql 2005 on server 2003.

i ran perfmon to gather some statistics and would appreciate some advice on them, tho from what i can tell i have serious memory issues?

\\GRNSQL001\SQLServer:Buffer Manager\Page life expectancy

during the working day - from 1 -518 with an average of 119

out of hours - from 100 - 3430 with an average of 1251

• It's possible that it's a memory issue. What other metrics have you gathered? Do you have wait statistics available? That will tell you what things are waiting on, which is frequently a great way to determine what is running slow, and why.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• wait statistics for disks and processor just

physical disks range from 0-160, and processor really no waits at all

• There's still not enough information to see exactly what the cause of slow performance might be. I'd suggest you gather data using sys.dm_os_wait_stats. Get that information together over a period of time. Couple it with trace events captured on a server side trace so you can see which procedures are running at the times when things are slowing down.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• how do i gateher statistics with sys.dm_os_wait_stats?

• Do you run a reindexing job overnight, if so are the queries which are affected those which are pulling data for the current day rather than historical data?

• no indexing done on a nightly basis, and its all queries that can get slow regardless of age

• Ah well - so much for that stab in the dark

• help appreciated anyhows ssc!

• oops i was using exec sys.dm_os_wait_stats

instead of SELECT * FROM sys.dm_os_wait_stats

• Yep, that's it. It's a DMV to give you a view into what things are waiting for what in the server. You'll need to look in BOL or online at the various wait states, and you need to know that it's an aggregation, I believe since the server was restarted. So you'll want to sample it over time & compare the samples to see what's happening for sure.

There's a great article on it here.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• DO THESE STATS INDICATE ANYTHING?

CXPACKET 3344303.7276.4476.44

PAGEIOLATCH_SH 407470.349.3185.76

LCK_M_SCH_M 173911.163.9889.73

ASYNC_NETWORK_IO 118890.632.7292.45

BROKER_TASK_STOP 93700.662.1494.59

LCK_M_S91672.272.10 96.69 2.10 96.69

• THE COLUMNS ARE

TYPE WAIT TIME S PCT RUNNING PCT

• malachyrafferty (3/16/2010)

DO THESE STATS INDICATE ANYTHING?

CXPACKET 3344303.7276.4476.44

PAGEIOLATCH_SH 407470.349.3185.76

LCK_M_SCH_M 173911.163.9889.73

ASYNC_NETWORK_IO 118890.632.7292.45

BROKER_TASK_STOP 93700.662.1494.59

LCK_M_S91672.272.10 96.69 2.10 96.69

'

CXPACKET waits are frequently an indication of parallel execution on your queries. What's your parallelism cost threshold set to?

If you read the document that I linked to, you'll see that PAGEIOLATCH_SH waits can be caused by either IO issues or by memory pressure, which links back to your issue with page life expectancy.

Based on this information, I'd say you've got performance bottlenecks because of the queries. You either need to tune the code, the indexes, or, most likely, both. I'd start gathering statistics using a server side trace to identify the long running queries and start there. Also, check on your cost threshold for parallelism like I said before.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• yea document looks good, it should give me a clearer idea what im looking at

currently the cost threshold is set at 5 - i have no idea what that is doing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply