SQL browser and port number

• We have several new servers running SQL 2014.  Some servers are single instance servers and have the default instance installed.  Others are multi-instance servers and have named instances on them (no default).  The SQL Browser service is running on all servers.  When connecting to the multi instance servers through SSMS I can use ServerName\InstanceName and can connect fine.  When connecting to the default instance servers I have to use the port number (ServerName,1500). We use non-default (non 1433) port numbers on all instances. I cannot connect using just the server name.

I can query udp 1434 on the single instance servers and it returns the server name and instance name of MSSQLSERVER.  I cannot connect using ServerName\MSSQLSERVER either.

Is this typical behavior for the Browser service?

John Deupree

• John Deupree wrote:

We have several new servers running SQL 2014.  Some servers are single instance servers and have the default instance installed.  Others are multi-instance servers and have named instances on them (no default).  The SQL Browser service is running on all servers.  When connecting to the multi instance servers through SSMS I can use ServerName\InstanceName and can connect fine.  When connecting to the default instance servers I have to use the port number (ServerName,1500). We use non-default (non 1433) port numbers on all instances. I cannot connect using just the server name. I can query udp 1434 on the single instance servers and it returns the server name and instance name of MSSQLSERVER.  I cannot connect using ServerName\MSSQLSERVER either. Is this typical behavior for the Browser service?  

No it's not typical. Being that you have the issue with any of the default instances and are using non-default ports, my first guess would be how the listening ports are configured in SQL Server Configuration Manager. Sometimes it can be an issue of how the IPALL or IPn were configured.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/configure-a-server-to-listen-on-a-specific-tcp-port?view=sql-server-2017

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply