SQL Book - Want something different?

• There a lot of 2012 books either out are coming out soon, if like me your faced with the prospect of perhaps buying an updated version of what you already have but your worried that 80% of the content is going to be the same then there is something to get excited about. Pro SQL Server 2012 Practices, this book is only available from Apress as an Alpha release but in my opinion this is another positive. This book is written by a multitude of very smart people so you get lots of new idea's and in the Alpha version its presented in different formats as you would expect from it being produced by so many different writers. The alpha release for me improves reading this in eBook format, I like the way it jumps for example to Courier type font when you get to some chapters it has hand drawn diagrams to look out for and may have mistakes in it - all of this for me makes you take in the information a lot better. Apress also sends you details of updates again this makes you spend more time with it than perhaps you would any other book.

You also get the full release when it is available, i'm in no rush

• So, how's the material? You're reviewing more of the rough & ready aspect of getting the alpha, which is cool, but I'm curious how we did on the meat.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Good point Grant, how much detail do you want i'm happy to do a full blow by blow review it will just take me a few days as the day job gets in the way 🙂 or do you just want to know if it does what it says on the box?

• Mainly if it does what it says on the box. I've got a chapter in there, but I haven't seen all the other chapters. I'm curious how the team did. And, if you're writing it up here, can you also post it over on Amazon?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply