SQL Blog

• Was reading through some blogs of the top SQL people, Brent, Gail, Kimberley, Pinal etc....and was wondering, how do you start a good, no sorry, excellent blog, that people will take interest in and add to their favorites?

😀

Surely I can host a site and give my interpretation of everything on their sites, and a few custom scripts and tests, but will it be successfull? Will it be meaningfull?

Some thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• I think Brent Ozar has some blog posts on how to blog. (Or on how to become a SQL Rockstar)

A good start:

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2010/04/rock-stars-normal-people-and-you/

I remember reading a blog post from someone telling how to start a blog, but I can't remember who.

If I find it, I'll pass it along.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Write about what excites you. If writing is a chore, it will show

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/15/2011)

Write about what excites you. If writing is a chore, it will show

Makes 100% sense. Are there any collaborative blog spots where DBA's/Dev's can compose write-ups in a joint type of venture?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• To be honest, writing alone is easier than writing collaboratively. Alone you only have to satisfy yourself.

If you're thinking about a blog, try writing blog-type posts for 2 or 3 months and not posting them anywhere (put them in a folder). If after 2 or 3 months you still have enthusiasm and interest, then consider starting a blog. Better to find out early that you don't enjoy it than later.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (3/15/2011)

To be honest, writing alone is easier than writing collaboratively. Alone you only have to satisfy yourself.

If you're thinking about a blog, try writing blog-type posts for 2 or 3 months and not posting them anywhere (put them in a folder). If after 2 or 3 months you still have enthusiasm and interest, then consider starting a blog. Better to find out early that you don't enjoy it than later.

Great advice, thanks.

• Hi

yaar

you can see mine blog as biginer's bolog example.

http://mumbaisqldba.wordpress.com/

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Ali Tailor (3/15/2011)

Hi

yaar

you can see mine blog as biginer's bolog example.

http://mumbaisqldba.wordpress.com/%5B/quote%5D

Then I'll offer you a beginner's piece of advice.

DO NOT plagiarise other people's work. Your post on moving Master (http://mumbaisqldba.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/how-to-move-the-master-database-of-sql-server/) is an exact copy-paste (with a few images added) from msdn (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx)

Familiarise yourself with the rules of copyright (if you didn't write it, you cannot assume that you can simply use it) and what constitutes plagiarism. It's seriously frowned on in the SQL community and will not do your reputation any good whatsoever.

For your information, everything on msdn falls under the terms of use that's linked from the bottom of each page, as partially reproduced below (emphasis mine)

All Content is the copyrighted work of Microsoft or its suppliers. Use of the Content is governed by the terms of the license agreement, if any, that accompanies or is included with the Content.

Except as provided above in this section, no portion of the web site may be copied, imitated, published, transmitted, broadcast or distributed, in whole or in part.

Gail Shaw

• Henrico Bekker (3/15/2011)

Was reading through some blogs of the top SQL people, Brent, Gail, Kimberley, Pinal etc....and was wondering, how do you start a good, no sorry, excellent blog, that people will take interest in and add to their favorites?

😀

Surely I can host a site and give my interpretation of everything on their sites, and a few custom scripts and tests, but will it be successfull? Will it be meaningfull?

Some thoughts?

I think you would be better off creating custom content., rather than hosting an interpretation of other blogs. Start with what you are interested in and know , it dosen't have to be super-technical as people from all levels are looking for information

also make sure anything that you publish is correct, there are a number of sql blogs out there that contain misleading and sometimes completley false information..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply