SQL Battleship

• andrei_solntsev (6/30/2014)

That's ok. It is possible to rewrite code to use different rules.

For example, you may define Ship_Definitions table as

IF OBJECT_ID (N'tempdb.dbo.#temp_Ship_Definitions', N'U') IS NULL

BEGIN

CREATE TABLE dbo.#temp_Ship_Definitions

(

DefID tinyint NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

Letter char(1) NOT NULL,

Squares tinyint NOT NULL,

Qty tinyint NOT NULL,

Name varchar(20) NOT NULL

);

INSERT dbo.#temp_Ship_Definitions (DefID, Letter, Squares, Qty, Name)

VALUES (1, 'B', 4, 1, 'Battleship'),

(2, 'D', 3, 2, 'Destroyer'),

(3, 'S', 2, 3, 'Submarine'),

(4, 'P', 1, 4, 'Patrol Boat');

END

Also I recommend to use PIVOT to display a grid. Try this

SET @Loop_Player = 0;

WHILE @Loop_Player <= 1 --

BEGIN

SELECT [0] AS [A], [1] AS , [2] AS [C], [3] AS [D], [4] AS [E], [5] AS [F], [6] AS [G], [7] AS [H], [8] AS [ I], [9] AS [ J] -- spaces added as letters I and J are too short

FROM

(

SELECT grid_value_current AS [Value], (row_id-1-@Loop_Player*100)/10 AS [Row], (row_id-1)%10 AS [Col]

FROM dbo.#temp_SB_Ocean_Grid

WHERE row_id BETWEEN (@Loop_Player*100) AND (@Loop_Player*100 + 99)

) AS p

PIVOT (MAX([Value]) FOR [Col] IN ([0], [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9])) AS pvt

ORDER BY [Row];

SET @Loop_Player = @Loop_Player + 1;

END

This game is a perfect excersise to improve coding skills

Definitely possible, but unfortunately is requires a bit more than just changing the table definition of the ships to play with different rules / set up. If you decide to make your own version with all the rule / set up / code changes you suggested let me know. I would love to see it! Thanks for the feedback on the Pivot. 🙂

• andrei_solntsev (6/30/2014)

Also I recommend to use PIVOT to display a grid. Try this

SET @Loop_Player = 0;

WHILE @Loop_Player <= 1 --

BEGIN

SELECT [0] AS [A], [1] AS , [2] AS [C], [3] AS [D], [4] AS [E], [5] AS [F], [6] AS [G], [7] AS [H], [8] AS [ I], [9] AS [ J] -- spaces added as letters I and J are too short

FROM

(

SELECT grid_value_current AS [Value], (row_id-1-@Loop_Player*100)/10 AS [Row], (row_id-1)%10 AS [Col]

FROM dbo.#temp_SB_Ocean_Grid

) AS p

PIVOT (MAX([Value]) FOR [Col] IN ([0], [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9])) AS pvt

ORDER BY [Row];

SET @Loop_Player = @Loop_Player + 1;

END

Just a quick note in case anyone tries the PIVOT solution proposed by Andrei. The code is incorrect. The line:

...should actually be:

WHERE row_id BETWEEN (@Loop_Player*100 + 1) AND (@Loop_Player*100 + 100)

• I've noticed a pattern in the shots the computer takes, at least on my server. Does that mean I played it too much?:-) Shots start out with E05 every time. Here is a list of the next 21 shots:

F06, G07, D04, G03, H04, C07, D08, F02, C03, I05, B06, H08, E09, E01, A05, J06, F10, B02, I09, H01, I02, this is where it ended the pattern after finally hitting one of my ships. It took a lot of rerunning before I could get two set ups for me that missed all of these shots. I won each game, sank two of the computers ships before it got a hit on mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 (7/3/2014)

I've noticed a pattern in the shots the computer takes, at least on my server. Does that mean I played it too much?:-) Shots start out with E05 every time. Here is a list of the next 21 shots:

F06, G07, D04, G03, H04, C07, D08, F02, C03, I05, B06, H08, E09, E01, A05, J06, F10, B02, I09, H01, I02, this is where it ended the pattern after finally hitting one of my ships. It took a lot of rerunning before I could get two set ups for me that missed all of these shots. I won each game, sank two of the computers ships before it got a hit on mine.

Well observed! 🙂 The pattern is based on the probability density matrix. As the computer starts honing in on ships it will appear more "random", but at the start of the game is follows a distinct path. Surprised it took someone this long to notice! Again, well done! 🙂

• Gr8!!!! Njoyed a lot...

Game over. Human player wins in 48 shots!

• mssqlsrv (7/22/2014)

Gr8!!!! Njoyed a lot...

Game over. Human player wins in 48 shots!

Well done! Glad you liked it. 🙂

• New version coming soon! Changes:

1. Extended "Deployment" Logic

2. Extended "Computer Pick" Logic

3. Reworked "Ocean Grids Display" Code

• I love the game. It does not matter what rules are used as long as we know which one are being used. I think that I have played it and the previous one too much as well. This version rarely sets horizontal ships on either the top or bottom of the grid. It is a pity as these are always likely winning scenarios, especially the bottom row on the old version.

Thanks for showing your skill in SQL but there again I am a novice with only using it for a couple of years.

• I'm glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to build (became a bit of an obsession at one point LOL).

• The first time I played the computer sunk my entire fleet in 29 shots while I only scored 3 hits!!

Grrrr, the code must have BUGS!! 😉

Thanks for a new obsession. 😎

• RD-201664 (10/17/2014)

The first time I played the computer sunk my entire fleet in 29 shots while I only scored 3 hits!!

Grrrr, the code must have BUGS!! 😉

Thanks for a new obsession. 😎

LOL! Glad you like it. 🙂 Thanks for posting your score. 🙂

• This is great! I won in 33 shots and the computer only had 3 shots left on my battleship before winning.

• Glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

• 39 shots! First game win. Lost in 38 second game. Great job!

• Awesome job! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply