SQL Backup at Network Location

• Hi,

anyone help me to take backup at the network location. I've one DB server and one another XP Professional system. The network drive is shared at the XP system. I want backup to be completed at the drive D at XP system. Everytime it says that access denied. However it is accessible from My Computer and can create file and folder on the network drive from the local system. The details are as follows:

DB Name: Test, Network Mapped Drive: Y

Here is the backup code:

1)

BACKUP DATABASE [TEST] TO DISK = N'Y:\SQL Backup' WITH INIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'Test Back', SKIP , STATS = 10, DESCRIPTION = N'Backup Done', NOFORMAT

OR

2)

BACKUP

DATABASE [TEST] TO DISK = N'\\xpsytem\f$\SQL Backup' WITH INIT,NOUNLOAD,NAME = N'Test Back',SKIP,STATS = 10, DESCRIPTION = N'Backup Done', NOFORMAT

Both the command are not working. It returns:

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 9

Cannot open backup device '\\server1\f$\SQL Backup'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 9

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Plz suggest.

Amit

• Hi

Got the solution. The SQL service should be started with the domain account or specified account. Assign permission to the network location. It's working fine now.

Amit

• Yes we had a similar problem here. Once you set SQL to run via a domain acccount rather than the local system your problems accessing the network shares should go away.

Enjoy

Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply