SQL Azure Point-in-Time Restore

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Azure Point-in-Time Restore

• Hey Paul,

Thanks for the posting!

You said, "Although not an substitute for a proper disaster recovery plan, Point-in-Time Restore is a great feature of the new SQL Azure Service Tiers." What would you consider to be a proper disaster recovery plan for Azure SQL Database?

Thanks!!

• Slightly (extremely?) off topic, but does anyone have any experience with the relative speed of the new tiered model? I tried the S1 tier as a test for a database that is currently using the web tier and it was really slow - queries took 15X as long to run. If I have to move to premium tier to get the speeds I need, I'll have to move away from Azure.

• There's a really good article about what is possible here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/hh852669.aspx. Basically, the Point in Time restore is the lowest level of disaster recovery. It is basically doing a nightly backup for you. From there you also have the option of geo-restore, which stores a backup in another data centre in event of a failure at that data centre. Then there are 2 geo-replication options - Standard and Active. With both of these options, transactions are applied to the primary database and then to the other database in a different geographic region. With Standard Geo-Replication, the second copy of the database is only available when the data centre fails. With Active Geo-Replication, you can have multiple readable databases across geographic regions.

• As far as the speed of Azure goes, I haven't done a comparison of the speed in different tiers, and I haven't found anything out there that does. One of the big gotcha's is making sure that you are in the same geographic region as your data centre, but you're probably already doing that. Sounds like that could be a topic for a future article :-).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply