SQL API Cursors

• Hi All,

Environment

SQL 2000 SP4, Standard and Enterprise on Windows 2003 also Standard and Enterprise. Sometimes clustered.

Background

I have a C++ application that uses OLEDB to connect to several databases. All (well I think All) of the application SQL is located in “Accessor” classes. The SQL mostly consists of parameterized queries. What I see in profiler for these queries is similar to the following (edited for space)

Profiler EventText Data - Abridged

RPC:StartingDeclare @P1 int Set @P1=NULL ….. Exec sp_CursorOpen @P1 output, N’Select Site, VisitId, …. from VisitTable….where VisitId = @P2’, @P2 Ouput …….

CursorOpen

RPC CompletedDeclare @P1 (same as above starting)

RPC Completedexec sp_CursorOption

RPC Completedexec sp_CursorFetch

RPC Completedexec sp_Cursor

RPC Completedexec sp_CursorClose

The sp_Cursor, sp_CursorFetch, and sp_CursorOption events may appear multiple times and in various orders. Sometimes the cursor is also used for inserts and updates.

My questions relate to efficiency. Basically what I want to know is, are these API Cursors as efficient, less efficient, or more efficient than calling stored procedures? I see these API Cursor sequences a lot. I have a profiler run from a high end production site that has 23,000 Cursor Open events in 10 minutes. I estimate that as much as half of the database access is via a dozen or so specific instances of these.

All of the events from CursorOpen to CursorClose typically complete in one or two ms. I do occasionally see the fetch statements run longer.

So, Is it worth my time and effort to track down the source of these queries and convince the developer to use a stored procedure?

• What you have posted looks like what the ADO objects do when you open recordset objects. They open cursors and iterate through them as needed.

Is this efficient? Usually not - especially when compared to writing procedures that can do set-based updates.

Is it a place of concern? Not necessarily. It does (usually) effectively use the built in locking mechanisms in the MSSQL engine - which are often ignored when developers create custom stored procedures causing concurrency issues.

So, the answer really depends on the application. It is not a situation where the development is clearly done wrong.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply