SQL Agent proxy account and export to .xls files

• I have a sql agent proxy account setup for non SA users on my SQL server.. It works fine. Lately my users are wanting to schedule jobs(running dts packages) that export data to excel spreadsheets. If I schedule the job as sqlservice account, it works fine, but if we schedule it for a non SA account, the job fails with a "Non-specified error".

We have been diagnosing the heck out of this, and finally we come down to the fact that if i give the sqlagentproxyaccount admin rights to the server, then the job works, but otherwise the job does not work.

I have utilized KB264155, and set the rights accordingly, and still no joy... We setup the sqlagentproxyaccount to have modify rights to C:\windows\temp and still no joy.. Heck, I even logged in as the sqlagentproxyaccount and made sure it has its own temp directories, and still no joy...

Is there a folder or some other right I am missing? Anyone have any other ideas? Users are driving me nuts... I just want to go back to being a wallflower.. /snicker

• We found a hidden article about sqlagentproxyaccount needing modify rights to the C:\Documents and Settings\<SQLService>\Local Settings\Temp directory, but still no joy.....

• You should use a method described in another topic: make a table where your users want to run the dts and make a job which permanently monitors this table and when a change is arised this job will run the dts your users want to run. This job will have the administrative privileges.

In Theory, theory and practice are the same...In practice, they are not.
  • If I am reading that correctly, then I am still going to have auditing breathing down my neck. I dont want the job to run with administrative priviledges, because then they could add a step to give themselves SA rights, and when the job kicks off, wahlah they would have sa rights... that make sense, or am I missing something?!?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply