Sql agent job

• Thanks Jeff.

Yes, I found too that many things that can be done in SSIS  which can be done more efficiently in T-SQL.

The thing I am working on is two data sources that one is from oracle one is from SQL server, so I will have to use SSIS to complete. and we don't have linked server.

I think I can complish the task in SSIS instead of using the SQL agent jobs to control the work flow for what I originally asked for.

Thanks

• sqlfriend wrote:

I have an SSIS run frequently every hour in a day to load data from other sources and update data. I would like to set up something like this: if there is new record in a table then start the SSIS, otherwise don’t do anything meaning don’ t run the SSIS. i am thinking in the sql agent job first step is to select count * from to get new record if there is new record then call the SSIS  in second step of the job , otherwise quit the job successfully. Is there a way to do this in sql agent job? Thanks

Why not include a task in the SSIS package to perform this check for you?  That way - the SSIS process runs every hour as scheduled but doesn't do anything unless the conditions are satisfied?

For example - use an Execute SQL Task to check for new rows and set a variable to true/false.  Then put a condition on the success connector that checks the variable - if true, continue and if false stop.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffery.

I think that is what I am going to do.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply