SQL AG - one node down 4 days - will it restart?

• Howdy,

We are planning one of our server rooms to be shutdown for 4 days. We have one nod eof each of our AGs in this server room.

It only just occurred to me that perhaps there may be an Availability Group tombstone setting ( similar to replication ) whereby an AG node once off line for a while may have a "use by" date and may not restart into the AG. I have looked a lot in MS doco and so far cant find anything that indicates an AG node might be timed out of the AG.

Any thoughts welcome....we run sql 2014 SP1 win 2012

Cheers

SG

• I think it should be ok, but are you planning to leave your DBs in the AGs for the duration? Keep an eye on the transaction logs if you do, as they could grow a fair bit as the unsent log records accumulate. (Also, how many other nodes do you have? There may be an impact on those too.)

• Beatrix Kiddo (12/19/2016)

I think it should be ok, but are you planning to leave your DBs in the AGs for the duration? Keep an eye on the transaction logs if you do, as they could grow a fair bit as the unsent log records accumulate. (Also, how many other nodes do you have? There may be an impact on those too.)

I think it might be worth breaking the groups until the server room is back up. Without the running Server there is no HA anyway and as you mentioned, there could be transaction logs that could potentially grow out of control and bring the lone system to a standstill.

It isn't a massive job to create a new availability group so I would recommend simply building new ones once the server room is back online.

• I agree with the 2 previous posts. I'd just take it out of the AG for your outage in that server room and add the DBs back once it's back up. 4 days, depending on the system, can accumulate a lot of transactions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply