SQL Active Directory Helper Service hung Stopping

• I was recently called in to help with a connection issue on an unfamiliar SQL 2005 Server. One issue is that the SQL Active Directory Helper Service is hung in the Stopping state. This pretty much prevents me from doing anything on the server, including a restart, as it hangs during shut down on the shutting down services part of that process.

I can't even go into the service and change it to Manual startup, or change the Login user because I can't restart the service.

tia,

Steve.

• Hi,

can you kill the corresponding windows session?

Greets

Patrick Fiedler

[font="Arial"]Kind regards,

Patrick Fiedler
    Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

www.fiedler-sql-consulting.de
    [/font]

• I'm not quite following. If I hard boot (and I'll wear steel toed boots when I visit it tonight) the server, log in as the administrator, jump into services it is already Stopping.

Currently it is set to Automatic (which, as I understand it, should be Manual for this service).

It is logging on as Network Service.

What would I kill?

• I meant to kill the corresponding task of the AD Helper service. Or is there no corresponding spid.

Furthermore you can try to track the activity of the service through processmonitor of sysinternals.

Patrick Fiedler
    Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

[/font]

• Apparently time heals all wounds. I got back to the customer last night and the service had managed to finally stop. I was then able to change it to manual startup.

I had tried ending the corresponding processess on monday when this first came up, and it didn't change the status of the the service.

Thanks,

Steve.

• But you haven't seen any errors in the event log?

Patrick Fiedler
    Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

[/font]

• The only errors in there event log were from Exchange, which is apparently loaded on that server, but not used.

• Sounds mysterious ... 😎

Patrick Fiedler
    Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply