SQL 7 Server reinstall Need User and DTS Info.

• We have a server running SQL 7 and one of the raid drives failed. In switching the drive, it corrupted the OS and we had to reinstall. Fortunatelyl all the files were intact including the SQL table files. I had to reinstall SQL and use the SP_ATTACH_DB command and was able to access them. My problem is I don't have any of the DTS packages or the USER ID's, etc. under SECURITY. I tried moving all the tables under DATA to the new server location and it wouldn't start. So I've got all the data but none of the security or DTS packages. Is there anyway to retrieve that information from the MASTER or MSDB tables?

I have a fairly recent backup but one of the databases wasn't in it so I'm trying to determine my easiest most accurate path. I have all the DB's attached, but without the security or DTS, I"m kinda hosed ...

• with SQL 7/2000, if you have a previous backup of the master database, you could restore it as a user database, and then manually script out / create the logins that exist in that database. you could export the has of the passwords with one hex to char function as well, but it has been a while;

alternatively, you could create logins for each of the users that exist in a database by querying sysusers, right? you'd assign new passwords if they were not windows users;

i've got a script like that for 2005 and above, of you think it might help; you'd have to substitute sysusers for sys.database_principals,a nd stuff like that to get it to work for previous versions.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have the master database still in a folder so could i just attach it if I renamed the files first so they didn't conflict with the existing master? Would this also give me the access that they had for each database?

Another option I tried was to recreate the users, but at some point it tells me the user already exists even thought it doesn't?

Since the entire previous SQL installion files appear to be intact, is there anyway to make the new SQL install just point to all the old files? When I did the reinstall I tried to point to the previous installation folder but it said that couldn't be done.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply