SQL 7, Replication Problem

• Hi,

I have a problem with one of my SQL server 7.0 box. We create a transactional replication from one server to the other. All fine and dandy. HOWEVER, after about 8 weeks I looked back to find that the replication and distrobution agents were completely missing. What could cause this ? No one excepy myself has access to this server so it cant be anyone else that deleted it. Could it have to do with the other server mabey ? HELP!!! 🙂

Thanks

• Are you sure you are logged in as an admin? You won't be able to see the agents if you are not an admin.

• Thanks for the reply,

To answer your question, yes i am logged in as admin. the same user account that created it and edited it quite a few times.

Thanks.

• This is puzzling. I have never heard of an agent just disappearing unless someone had deleted them.

• This has happened me before as well.

When I asked someone for advice they just shugged and said "That's Microsoft". I just recreated the replication (Always handy to have it scripted). This happened one more time, but as we were moving to 2000 I didn't follow it up. No probs since. I'd imagine it's something to do with the msdb.

• Are you running the latest service pack? I have found that there are many problems with replication in the original release and SP1. Things are much more stable in SQL7 replication in SP2 onwards.

• I am Running SQL 7.0 with sp4 installed. Could it be that the server on the other side restarted momentarily ?

• That may interrupt the agent and cause an error, but I wouldn't have thought that it would remove the agent from the server...

• Thats what i thought. I am extremely confused as to why it would just vanish. Would it matter if the other server was a 2000 machine, and mine is a sql 7 machine ?

• If you go to Replication Monitor, Pulishers and go into the properties of your replication under general tab there is Subscription Expiration. It defaults to 72 hours. Your replication was probably not active for over 72 hours and that's why it got dropped.

• I thought it might be this, however i have my expiration at 120 hours.... All it does is come up with that microsoft X and says that the agent has expired......... However again, my problem is that there is nothing, it has deleted the entire agent.

• This is an easy one. (Just kidding) The problem might be the synchronization tasks and the miscellaneous tasks (usually daily tasks). All of them must run successfully according to their schedule.

Sometimes it happens there are many synchronization tasks scheduled for the exact same hour. This might cause some of them (if not all of them) to fail, because they are competing for the same resources and they basically timing out.

Re schedule this tasks so there is not two of them at the same hour (at least it should be 15 minutes between them).

quote:

Hi,

I have a problem with one of my SQL server 7.0 box. We create a transactional replication from one server to the other. All fine and dandy. HOWEVER, after about 8 weeks I looked back to find that the replication and distrobution agents were completely missing. What could cause this ? No one excepy myself has access to this server so it cant be anyone else that deleted it. Could it have to do with the other server mabey ? HELP!!! 🙂

Thanks

• There was only one replication task running on the machine along with your average usage of the DB. It was a push distro. If i am correct that there are 2 processes, the data comes in from a "Client" app, and the the replication agent pushes the data across to the other server via the distrobution DB. These are the only steps runnig when it dissapeats. All other jobs are run at totally different times of the day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply